Saturday, December 2, 2017

Welcome December . . . .


It is really hard for me to believe that 2017 is coming to a close.   It seems like this has been such a short year, and also a busy one. 

I just finished a 3 year program of study in Southern Appalachian and Herbal Folk Medicine with Phyllis Light.   We are really fortunate to have someone like her to teach us, who is also so close to home and accessible.  (http://www.phyllisdlight.com/)  This has been a great program for me, and I've learned so much. 

I've also gone really deep this year into my personal journey with the Medicine Wheel.   I wrote a little workbook and shared it with a small study group over a period of 8 weeks, which we completed in October. 

At this busy time of the year, I always feel a little bit of a "crunch".   I dislike being out in the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, and am really not much of a shopper.   I have asked my family not to give me gifts.   Instead, I just want to spend some quality time with my loved ones and those who are most important to me.

Around Thanksgiving, I felt that it was time for me to take a little "down" time just for me, to recharge my batteries and think about my life and work and what paths I hope to take in future months.   For the time being, I took down my social media, web pages, and other blogs and just left this one blog as a way to stay connected with the outside world while I reflect from my bear cave.  This is temporary, as I always emerge from my cave feeling energized and renewed. 

This morning it has been overcast and a little misty outside.  I spent the morning with some hot coffee and videos and my crochet hook and needle.  These feel very warm to me, and I enjoy working with fiber arts.

I thought it might be nice to use up some of my scrap yarn, so I made these little keychains.   They are so simple and quick  to make and there is a great tutorial on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdq2XTD3-A   She designed these as little coin pouches, but I think they would be great for healing stones as well.    Perhaps at this time of year, some rose quartz for love, or obsidian for grounding and protection.  I think they are also perfect as small gifts.   They just feel good and any time you make something yourself, there is a little bit of your heart in the gift.  I used some scrappy buttons from my button box and some inexpensive key rings from the hobby store.  I hope you enjoy making these as much as I have.


Warm greetings, much love, and big bear hugs.

Spirit Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment